Monday, February 28, 2011

Slow Cooker BBQ Ribs!

Last night I got out the crock pot, threw my ingredients in and put it in the fridge.  This morning, I took it out of the fridge, put it in the crock pot base, turned it on and headed off to work.  I love the easiness of the crock pot and preparing meals ahead.  This way after a long day at work, I come home to a hot, home cooked meal... It's like having a personal chef! LOL!

My sister in law gave me this recipe.  She made it and my brother and their kids LOVED it! Those kids can be verrrryyy picky eaters - so if they ate it - it had to be delicious!!

The recipe called for optional things and I omitted them.  I only made a few changes and boy oh boy, were these good!

Cook: 10 to 12 hours on low
5 to 6 hours on high
Makes: 4 to 6 servings

3 to 3 1/2 lbs of  pork ribs
2 cups of ketchup
1 finely chopped onion
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper

(This is double the sauce the recipe originally called for. I found once I put the sauce on my ribs in the crockpot that it seemed like it would get dry in there.. It was just enough to coat the ribs.  This way there was extra sauce for me to thicken after I took the ribs out to slather on the ribs)

Place ribs a 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker. Salt and pepper them lightly for flavor.

In a small bowl, combine ketchup, onion, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, liquid smoke, garlic powder and hot sauce. Mix it so all the ingredients combine completely. 

Pour over ribs in cooker, turning to coat.

Cover and cook on low heat for 10 to 12 hours or 5 to 6 hours on high heat.

Transfer ribs to a platter; cover to keep warm. Skim fat from surface of sauce; pour sauce into a medium sauce pan. Bring sauce to a boil; reduce heat slightly. Boil gently, uncovered, for 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened to desired consistency. Serve sauce with ribs as needed!


The ribs literally fell off the bone. They were so delicious. I would definitely make this dish again!!

I cheated with my side dishes. I used creamed spinach from Ruth's Chris steakhouse - my hubby brought them home from work. It's restaurant week in Atlantic City and his radio station gets food from different participating restaurants... Ahh the perks! LOL!

Enjoy!!

xoxo
Kerry

No comments:

Post a Comment